[OSGeoLive] Adding PerfectTIN to OSGeoLive

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Tue Aug 18 19:19:56 PDT 2020

On Tuesday, 18 August 2020 15:57:00 EDT Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
> Hello Pierre,
>
> thanks for your application.
>
> Could you please also provide an installer for your software in a branch
> and make a pull request so we can test it.
> * see also
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Projects/How_to_add%20your%20project

I'm in the midst of implementing STL export after adding color to the points
of exported PLY files, so I can't work on a package until that's ready to
release, which will be version 0.5.1. On top of that, I had two computers fail
in quick succession. One of them is my main development box, and it came back
from repair not booting.

Do you mean a .deb package or instructions in shell that fetch the tarballs
and build and install them?

> Looks like we do not have point clouds on OSGeoLive yet. Do you have a
> suggestion for good example data?

Darkblue_b sent me a link to a point cloud in Raleigh, which I may or may not
be able to access (it's on the failed computer's M.2 drive). It is not clean
(it's full of trees). IIRR he processed it at 1 dm tolerance, which that point
cloud does not deserve, as its density is only about 1/m².

Pat, who asked me to write the program in the first place, is going, sometime
in the next few weeks, to fly a drone above a church in Shelby to get sample
data for a continuing education seminar to be held there in December. These
data will be distributed, or at least demonstrated, to some 40-80 surveyors,
which should be public enough for a data set to be distributed with OSGeoLive.
The other point clouds I have are jobs eGPS (where Pat works) or 3DSurvey has
done, except for one square of West Virginia terrain, which is covered with
trees.

> After we had a look at the installer and decide whether PerfectTIN fits
> you could write the documentation files.
>
> For the documentation youu find information at
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/How%20to%20configure%20a%20project%20d
> ocumentation

Is what you mean by "documentation" just one line in the CSV file, or is it
something that would explain to a user how to use the program?

Pierre

--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa