[OSGeoLive] Disk (ISO) size limitations

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 03:30:51 PST 2020

Hi,

The limitation is not actually the iso format but the squashfs
filesystem for the live system.
When that goes over 4GB, the file cannot be stored in the filesystem the
usb/iso uses.

More details here:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1123257&sid=5c42d363988a2c6980ae256697991aa1#p1123257

Best,
Angelos

On 12/17/20 12:28 PM, Gandalf the Gray wrote:
> Hi Angelos
>
> Just a quick question about the ISO size limit that has been bugging me
> last night.
>
> How does projects like Scientific Linux or RHEL manage to get ISOs of more
> than 4GB?
>
> I think that the aim of the OSGeoLive project is to fit the ISO on a DVD,
> am I correct?
>
> If I may be presumptuous, why doesn't the OSGeoLive project start moving
> away from a DVD ISO, to an iso that can run only from USB, or is this
> limitation of 4GB a Ubuntu issue?
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Pieter

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD