[OSGeoLive] Adding PerfectTIN to OSGeoLive

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Mon Jun 8 03:27:16 PDT 2020

On Monday, June 8, 2020 4:54:02 AM EDT Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> Thank you for reaching out.
> There is a process to submit a new project to OSGeoLive, please see this
> link:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Projects/How_to_apply

Name: PerfectTIN
Home page: none yet.
License: LGPL v3
Do: It converts a point cloud of terrain into a TIN, which can then be turned
into a contour map.
Language: C++
Version: 0.4.1, which should be out in a few days.

Deployed: none yet. A friend of mine at eGPS is preparing a comparison of
PerfectTIN and a previously existing program, in hopes that eGPS will deploy
it.
OpenHUB: this is new to me.
User community: 1 that I know of.
Developer community: 1
Stable release: 0.4.0 may have a bug when run on Windows.

User interface: PerfectTIN has both a GUI and a CLI.

Install: Presumably from .deb packages, but I don't know how to make them.

RAM: An empty PerfectTIN process takes 34.6 MiB of unshared RAM and 82.2 MiB
of shared (which is largely Qt libraries for the GUI). The initial processing
steps ("Making octagon" and "6 triangles") take 168 bytes per dot of the point
cloud, so a cloud of 3.2 million dots would just overflow 512 MiB of RAM on top
of the empty process.

Disk space: 4.8 MiB for the application, not including Qt or Boost.

Dataset: The datasets you have appear to be all shapefiles. PerfectTIN needs a
point cloud. Do you have any point clouds?

Project overview: not sure what this should look like.

Windows and Mac: I prepare a Windows installer with each release. I don't have
a Mac.

Pierre
--
Lanthanidia deliciosa: What the kiwifruit would be
if it weren't so radioactive.