[OSGeoLive] py3 ML 2020, was ODC OSGeo Community Project

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 02:24:55 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I had a call with Alex and Kirill a couple of hours ago to kick off the
ODC application for OSGeoLive.
We discussed about the ODC dependencies and we now have a first
(untested) debian package in place:

https://launchpad.net/~gcpp-kalxas/+archive/ubuntu/osgeolive/+sourcepub/11562787/+listing-archive-extra

Best,
Angelos

On 9/2/20 10:25 PM, Brian M Hamlin wrote:
> Hi Markus and Alex -
>
>   the osgeolive 2020 python3 environment is not yet alpha. Already in
> meetings, there are different ideas of how to build python, between
> the voting members, and I mean the kind of different ideas that do not
> overlap much .. there are just different ways to install python3 and
> they are not the same results or process.
>
>   perhaps you read the trac ticket #2247, the famous-but-not-famous
> 'Python and Jupyter' task for osgeolive 2020. the first alpha builds
> of osgeolive may be quite different, and people are busy .. so perhaps
> a little bit of positive communication up front will help to avoid
> distressing or non-overlapping design of python3 libs on osgeolive 2020.
>
>   miniconda linux is not an option for osgeolive;  straight deb-only
> install is preferred by the os-level maintainers;  pip has improved
> multiple times over several years and has signed installs available,
> and certainly python-only libraries are the least friction.  Security
> is not the focus of osgeolive, but it is foolish to ignore
>
>   I welcome your input, and the reason I write is that you two are
> both aware of the steady and continuing body of MachineLearning /
> Statistically-driven prediction  and even AI systems of some kinds,
> expanding from python3.  I can also say quickly that I do not think
> that a GPU-aware DeepLearning setup is a priority on osgeolive, but it
> could be done, maybe a side-project.
>
>   -Brian

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
President