[OSGeoLive] Disk (ISO) size limitations

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 09:31:39 PST 2021

Hi,

Lets re-cap:

We are currently using an iso format for our live system. This is an
image file with an embeded iso9660 file system. The length of a file's
extent on disc is stored in a 32 bit value, it allows for a maximum
length of just over 4.2 GB (more precisely, one byte less than 4 GiB).
 From Wikipedia: "It is possible to circumvent this limitation by using
the multi-extent (fragmentation) feature of ISO 9660 Level 3 to create
ISO 9660 file systems and single files up to 8 TiB. With this, files
larger than 4 GiB can be split up into multiple extents (sequential
series of sectors), each not exceeding the 4 GiB limit."
Our problem is that the live system is a squashfs single file (included
in the iso9660 file system) that goes over 4GiB often.

Now Ventoy supports iso files larger than 4GiB and can boot them from
USBs with filesystems other than FAT. This solves another problem,
storing an iso file (>4GiB) on a USB file system. Ventoy does not solve
the problem of splitting the squashfs file into several smaller ones so
they fit into the iso9660 filesystem.

In any case, Ventoy looks like a great tool for storing multiple iso
files on a large USB drive and being able to boot them up directly.

Best,
Angelos