[OSGeoLive] LAS libraries are going away

Jim Klassen jklassen at sharedgeo.org
Mon Apr 10 19:00:28 PDT 2023

I don't know that I can make the meeting, but as a contributor to
OSGeoLive, a Debian user, and as someone who regularly works with
point-cloud data, I have a few comments:

There are several existing FLOSS LAZ libraries (laszip, laz-perf and
laz-rs for example).  I'm not sure about what, if anything, supports
full waveform data as that hasn't been important for my work.  I'm sure
the LAZ specification is floating around somewhere, but on a quick
search I hit a lot of broken links. My understanding is laz-perf (C++)
and laz-rs (Rust) are meant to be cleaner and more performant
implementations when compared to the original laszip library.  I'm not
sure if any of these libraries (or PDAL) meet your needs, but I would
recommend at least considering using/expanding on what exists before
committing to reinventing the wheel.

My understanding is that PDAL and friends were removed from DebianGIS
for non-technical reasons, but that PDAL is still currently packaged in
the UbuntuGIS PPA that is used by OSGeoLive.  So, I don't see a reason
why their removal from DebianGIS would have to impact OSGeoLive.  I
don't see laszip packaged in UbuntuGIS, but that may not be that
important.  I know PDAL has transitioned from using laszip to using
laz-perf, and that many other applications have transitioned to using
PDAL over using liblas/laszip directly (for similar reasons to why
applications tend to use GDAL instead of using libtiff/libgeotiff directly).

Overall, for OSGeoLive, the big thing I see is that the recent work of
getting point-cloud support into QGIS, along with the ability to access
large, freely available point-cloud datasets hosted by USGS and many
others in EPT format (via QGIS's use of PDAL) is transformative in
enabling people to easily work with these (generally very large)
datasets that previously had a high barrier of entry due to the
necessary levels of storage, compute, and steep learning curve.  I
believe being able to showcase this functionality in OSGeoLive is
important to educating people on what can be achieved with the current
state of the projects under the OSGeo umbrella.

The one potential catch here is with PDAL and friends removed from
DebianGIS, the DebianGIS packages that had optional dependencies on
these packages will be configured to build without them.  I don't know
if/how this may flow into UbuntuGIS, but I would suggest that we should
make sure that the support for PDAL and friends remains enabled in the
UbuntuGIS PPA.  If the issue here is "simply" packaging, I may be
willing to help with that.