[OSGeoLive] Fwd: Adding QField to OSGeo-Live

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sat Mar 18 10:17:23 PDT 2023

Hi all,

Thank you for the positive feedback.
Based on this, we are excited to start working on this.

While bootstrapping the install script, we identified one additional
challenge to tackle.
At the moment, OSGeoLive ships with QGIS version 3.22.4.
QField depends on QGIS but recent stable versions require a newer version
of QGIS.

For additional context, QGIS 3.22 is end of life and the current LTR is
3.28 [1]. QGIS 3.22.4 is actually a very early release of the QGIS 3.22
series, meanwhile tons of bugs have been fixed.

For QField we see 3 possible approaches:

 a) compile a newer QGIS version as part of the QField app. Leave the
current QGIS installation in place (3.22). This will slightly increase the
image size by a couple of MB and also increase the build time.

 b) update QGIS to 3.28, the current LTR (e.g. via qgis.org/ubuntu [2]) and
patch QField to be able to compile against 3.28

 c) use a (very) old version of QField that is compatible with QGIS

We would try to avoid option c) as this would mean shipping QField in a
very old and buggy version.

Are there opinions about upgrading QGIS to a currently maintained and
updated 3.28 LTR version, which would mean installing it from a different
repository?

Thank you
Matthias

[1] https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html