[Oskari-user] Oskari release 1.53

Mäkinen Sami (MML) sami.makinen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Sep 30 03:01:35 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,

We had a soft launch for the 1.53 release on 19.9. and as there's a ton of changes we identified some issues that required extra attention that were addressed in a hotfix version 1.53.1 released on Friday 27.9. Now we are ready to shout out about the release to the world :)

The new WFS-integration backend is now the default (replacing the transport webapp) and vector features are now vectors all the way to the browser as well. We recommend backing up your database before updating to ensure you have a restore point if you experience problems with the new system. You can opt-out of the new system with a configuration explained in the migration guide but we heavily recommend you give it a spin. In the next version the new system will be upgraded for all users. So this is THE chance to test it out and let us know of any problems you might encounter. If we don't hear about any problems they won't get fixed on the next release meaning you can't upgrade to the next version. If you start using the new system you can remove the transport webapp from Jetty. The new system doesn't use websockets so that might be good news for Apache httpd users.

Another big change from the previous version is that the sample/example application have been removed from oskari-server/oskari-frontend repositories. The old repository for server extension template (https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server-extension-template) has been deprecated/archived and is replaced by https://github.com/oskariorg/sample-server-extension that has the new example app in it. This lets us have a single example app instead of three which means it's 200% more probable to be a working one ;) It also points users at the direction we want Oskari to be used in: separating application specific initial content, code and migrations from the shared/common "core" code of Oskari. Hopefully it will also be clearer to see what to modify when customizing things and make it easier to support users when everyone is customizing using the same methods.

In the same spirit we have removed the sample application from the oskari-frontend repository and it's now located in https://github.com/oskariorg/sample-application. Oskari-frontend is used as a npm dependency through package.json file like any other dependency. We still provide build scripts, Webpack and ESLint configurations through oskari-frontend. The paths and scripts used in package.json scripts have this covered for you. Runnng "npm run build" in the sample-application will build all apps you have inside the applications folder with the version used in package.json so you no longer have to pass the -env.appdef=version:appPath parameter etc.

Here's the release notes:
Oskari-frontend
1.53.1

For a full list of changes see: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-frontend/milestone/21?closed=1

  *   Remove unnecessary scrollbar from search UI
  *   Fix broken icon on admin-hierarchical-layerlist
  *   Fix loading spinner on search when search term is invalid
  *   Fix an error with adding layers on publisher when using it with hierarchical layerlist.
  *   Allow empty domain for publication on RPC (previously made optional on publisher)

1.53.0

Sample application has been removed from oskari-frontend/oskari-server to new repositories sample-application (for frontend) and sample-server-extension (for server). This is the way we see Oskari being used/developed in the future. More as a framework with applications developed on top of it. This also allows better separation of the application content/configuration regarding migrations etc. See README.md on both repositories for details on how to setup your own app.

For a full list of changes see: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-frontend/milestone/18?closed=1

  *   New WFS-implementation used be default. See oskari-server/MigrationGuide.md for changes required to application main.js
  *   Improvements for styling vector features like hovering as all WFS-layers now use vectors on map instead of raster images
  *   Vector features can now be clustered
  *   Domain field for embedded maps is now optional
  *   StartUserLocationTrackingRequest/StopUserLocationTrackingRequest are now allowed over RPC by default
  *   Improved the guided tour functionality
  *   Added a way to register checks if layer is supported by the current application (projection & 3D checks for example)
  *   Preparations for including a 3D mapmodule
  *   Fixed opacity field/slider interaction
  *   Initial Ant Design components theming with 'less' styles. Future for styling options is still under consideration as we now have SCSS, Less, styled-components and plain css
  *   Toolbar now works better with light background
  *   Improvements for user indicators on statistical maps
  *   Refactored DefaultExtension bundles to use ExtraFlyout instead of DefaultFlyout so flyouts are handled similarly between functionalities.
  *   Index map now shows the first visible WMS/WMTS layer by default instead of the first layer (that might be a vector layer without any features).
  *   Printing uses the same logic for preview image (showing the visible layer)
  *   Layers with time series now include currently shown time on prints
  *   Drawtools (like measurements etc) now use smaller snap tolerance on desktop to make it harder to accidentally stop measurement by clicking near the previous point
  *   Initial test framework for frontend tests added using Jest
  *   Build scripts now use version from package.json by default (overridable with the same syntax as before)
  *   Other improvements

Oskari-server
1.53.1

For a full list of changes see: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/milestone/20?closed=1

  *   Fix WFS-based search channels permission checks
  *   Fix backend for the content-editor functionality for services requiring authentication
  *   Fix an issue with empty userlayer tiles
  *   Allow admins to force the new WFS-backend to use GML as outputFormat instead of preferring JSON (usable for services that don't handle outputFormat parameter properly)

1.53.0

For a full list of changes see: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/milestone/18?closed=1

  *   New WFS-integration backend is now the default replacing the transport webapp! Requires manual updates. See migration guide<https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/blob/master/MigrationGuide.md>
  *   Lots of improvements over 1.52 to the new WFS-integration backend
  *   CSRF protection has been removed from the webapp as the implementation was problematic with 3rd party cookie blocking. Instructions for configuring nginx to handle CSRF has been added. See migration guide<https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/blob/master/MigrationGuide.md>
  *   Permissions system has been rewritten. Modifying layer url or technical name no longer loses permissions set for the layer
  *   Added frontend request priority queue implementation using Service Worker (Service Worker code is in the server repository)
  *   Audit log implementation has been added
  *   AppSetups can now use specific publish template to override the global template
  *   Printing WFS-layers now use true vector features for PDFs
  *   Improvements on printing WMTS-layers
  *   Oskari now has a default favicon (customizable in oskari-ext.properties)
  *   More services migrated from Ibatis to Mybatis
  *   Fixes to analysis functionality
  *   User session timeout handling improvements
  *   OpenStreetMap search channel now supports limiting queries to certain bbox
  *   Server-side localizations are now in UTF-8 to support more languages
  *   Improvements on parsing indicators from the thematic datasource UN stats (https://unstats.un.org/home/)
  *   Improvements for handling problematic regions from statistical region sets
  *   Library updates

Thanks and happy upgrading,
          Sami