[Oskari-user] Upcoming 2.0 release info and some questions for opinions

Mäkinen Sami (MML) sami.makinen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Aug 26 05:37:23 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

We are making good progress on the 2.0 release with changes being merged now to the develop branch in Git rather than having a separate v2.0 branch we started out with. You can "see" the progress in dev.oskari.org with the quotes signifying that you really shouldn't be seeing that many differences really. What is being done is mostly reflected on the server side with updated components all over. There are modifications that need to be done on Oskari-based applications because the libraries we use have changes in Java packages and in some cases the API. A friendly reminder: you will need to upgrade an existing Oskari instance to version 1.56.0 before you can upgrade to 2.0. You can see the changes required for applications on the sample-server-extension repository: https://github.com/oskariorg/sample-server-extension/milestone/5?closed=1 (also Geotools/JTS upgrade requires some changes if you use those in application specific code).

That being said we are using this opportunity about knowing the update path and requirements for changes to apps on the server-side due to library updates to clean up some older dependencies, code and migrations to give more room to work with in the future. For example we have (finally) updated the last of the services in oskari-server to use Mybatis instead of Ibatis for database operations and we can now drop Ibatis as a dependency. If you use it in your applications you can probably just add it as a dependency in your app and everything should work. Reseting migrations for core Oskari module also allows us to rename the database tables to start with oskari_-prefix instead of the legacy portti_-prefix or no prefix. On this topic I would like an opinion if anyone is using the portti_keyword tables in Oskari database? They are not really used currently and we would like to drop the tables and services related to it because of that.

On another note I'm considering renaming all the Maven artifacts from the current groupId fi.nls.oskari to org.oskari (and perhaps some artifactId:s to match the folder they are stored in). This will require some changes in the pom.xml files on applications as well but not too much I think. Is someone strongly (or mildly) against this renaming? We have started using it on the more recent modules.

Best regards,
          Sami