[Oskari-user] Oskari 2.0 released!

Mäkinen Sami (MML) sami.makinen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Sep 23 08:22:32 PDT 2020

Good news everyone,

We released Oskari 2.0.0 last week (and 2.0.1 for oskari-server just now for some search related changes) and it is now available on GitHub (https://github.com/oskariorg), Oskari.org Maven repository and on the download link in Oskari.org (https://oskari.org/download). We also now have a mirror for the sample application download on http://download.osgeo.org/oskari/. As always you can take a peek at the latest at https://demo.oskari.org/.

There has been a lot of changes for the server side with just small fixes for the frontend compared to 1.56. Upgrading an existing Oskari-based application requires some additional manual work so please take a look at the https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/blob/master/MigrationGuide.md. Also note that when updating you will need to upgrade to 1.56.0 before jumping on to 2.0! This has allowed us to do a lot of cleanup on the codebase. TLDR: see end of this message for examples on upgrading!
Release Notes for 2.0
oskari-frontend

For a full list of changes see: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-frontend/milestone/27?closed=1

The 2.0 release is mainly for upgrading server-side components but we want to keep the frontend and server versions in sync. We do have a couple of bug fixes included since 1.56.0 but nothing that blows your mind with 2.0 fanfares:

  *   Added possibility to show raw HTML from localization with Message-component
  *   Fixed a bug in publisher that resulted in wrong tools being selected to embedded maps than ones based on user choices
  *   Fixed a visual issue with popup height in admin functionality when more than 3 locales are enabled in the Oskari instance
  *   Fixed an issue with MapMoveRequest when requested coordinates required reprojection
  *   Bumped node-sass and lodash versions
  *   Fixed an issue with infobox title height when an empty tag was provided as title
  *   Fixed an issue with infobox when opened to 0,0 coordinates (coordinates are required as numbers now)
  *   Fixed an issue with scales (optional field enabled with configuration) in printout
  *   Fixed an issue with user generated statistical data import from clipboard
  *   Fixed an issue with measurement tools on embedded map
  *   Fixed a visual issue with 3D-timecontrol plugin
  *   Improved and fixed some translations in publisher and admin for sv and en languages

oskari-server
2.0.1

Changes coordinates type from string to double on search channels and search results. Frontend assumes numbers on 2.0 and most of the code casts numbers to strings just for the SearchResultItem setter.

2.0.0

For a full list of changes see: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/milestone/25?closed=1

Important note for the release!

If you are migrating an older instance to 2.0.0 make sure you migrate to 1.56.0 first and start your server at least once with a version based on Oskari 1.56.0. This is a required step as the database needs to be migrated to a specific state before migrating to 2.0.0 and beyond.

This release aims to be functionally same as 1.56.0 but we have included a couple of bug fixes.

Maven naming changes

GroupId for all Oskari Maven artifacts in oskari-server is now org.oskari. Much of the artifactIds have also been changed to match the folder they are in. Details can be found in Migration Guide<https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/blob/master/MigrationGuide.md>.

Library updates

We have updated a bunch of libraries that require changes to applications based on Oskari. The changes required are detailed in the Migration Guide<https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/blob/master/MigrationGuide.md> and you can also take a look at changes for the sample-server-extension<https://github.com/oskariorg/sample-server-extension/milestone/5?closed=1> to give you a better idea what these mean for your app.

Bigger upgrades include:

  *   GeoTools 19.2 -> 23.2
  *   Java Topology Suite (JTS) 1.14.0 -> 1.16.1
  *   Spring Framework 4.3.26 ->
  *   Spring Security etc 4.2.14 -> 5.2.8
  *   Mapbox Vector Tile library 2.0.0 -> 3.1.0
  *   Flyway 4.2 -> 6.5.5
  *   GeoServer 2.13.2 -> 2.17.2 (WPS-modules updated in pre-built package)
  *   Dropped Ibatis (everything now uses MyBatis instead)

Spring is now managed with "Bill Of Materials" so it's easier for an application to use the same version as Oskari-server without re-declaring the version (spring artifacts are in managed dependencies so you don't have to declare version for them on your app).

The updates introduce a bunch of code changes that are required to be matched on applications based on Oskari. These include Java-package changes and even some API changes for Java classes. Details can be found in Migration Guide<https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/blob/master/MigrationGuide.md>.

Applications and initial content

Support for setup.json files have been dropped. While this might feel like a downgrade it actually makes creating initial content for applications simpler and easier to understand. Everything is now done using Flyway-migrations and everything you could do with a setup.json you can do with migrations. For the oskari-server core modules this includes creating database tables for empty database and populating them with initial content. We have dropped all the 1.x migrations and with that have been able to cleanup the codebase a fair bit.

We also improved the helpers that can be used with application specific Flyway-modules to make registering bundles, map layer and appsetup inserts/updates easier in applications. We also renamed some of the database tables so table names are now consistent.

Because of Flyway API changes you will need to modify your application specific migrations. Details can be found in Migration Guide<https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/blob/master/MigrationGuide.md>.

Bug fixes

  *   Line color for printing has been fixed (now uses defined style again)
  *   Fixed a caching issue when printing user generated content after changing styling
  *   Fixed an issue with creating PDF having solid lines

Here are some extra links/examples to help with the migration. These are apps we've updated for Oskari 2.0 and the changes seen on these apps should give you an idea what it could mean for your Oskari-based server application (the frontend update is business as usual with nothing extra):

  *   sample-server-extension: https://github.com/oskariorg/sample-server-extension/pull/21/files
  *   Changes for kartta.paikkatietoikkuna.fi: https://github.com/nls-oskari/kartta.paikkatietoikkuna.fi/milestone/18?closed=1
  *   Changes for geoportal.arctic-sdi.org: https://github.com/arctic-sdi/oskari-server-extensions/pull/15/files
Also worth noting I added instructions on oskari.org for the usual upgrade process: https://oskari.org/documentation/updating