[OTT_OSGEO] Mission Statement

Regie Alam regie.alam at terrapoint.com
Mon Jul 31 19:23:30 EDT 2006

Hi David and all,

I don't have a specific project planned as of yet. I was just curious what types of projects OSGEO can support or be associated with seeing that most projects in the OSGEO websites are software development related. As primarily a user of open geospatial software I wanted to know how OSGEO plans to support "management" (or applications) type projects.

  An example of a management project could probabely be projects that can be supported by Geoconnections (geoconnections.org) funding. Can a member affiliate himself with OSGEO and apply for funding? Of course, OSGEO supported software will have to be used to produce the products. For example, use GRASS to analyze remote sensing and other geospatial data and use Mapserver to present results (products) over the internet.

   Another question is whether projects need to be located locally, or projects can be anywhere else as long as there's a local Ottawa member involved with the project?

Regie