[OTT_OSGEO] GIS Day - OSGEO presence

Scott W Mitchell smitch at connect.carleton.ca
Tue Nov 14 10:53:13 EST 2006

Hi, Grahame,

As you may have heard, Carleton faculty may be on strike tomorrow,
and that includes me.  I am pretty optimistic that it won't happen,
but there's always the chance that someone slips up and breaks down
negotiations.

In the case of a strike, I have asked the union for permission to
cross the picket line and come to the event as an OSGEO volunteer
(i.e. "not wearing my Carleton faculty hat").  I have not received a
reply yet, but hope they will allow it - it seems completely
reasonable to me given the aims of GIS Day, but I don't want them to
label me as a strike breaker.  The picket line will be letting
everyone through (probably slowed down as they give out information)
but of course normally members of the union are not supposed to cross.

If you don't mind coming even if there is a strike, I guess what I'll
do is leave the materials tonight (brochures and a banner) at the
main Geography office, Loeb Building B349, with your name on it so
that you could pick them up even if I'm not allowed across the picket
line.  Is that OK with you?  I could probably also arrange to get you
hooked up with a student volunteer to find your way to the right
place and get set up.

This is all hopefully just a contingency plan that won't have to be
acted upon, but just in case...

Cheers,
Scott