[OTT_OSGEO] Meeting Thursday October 5

Geng, Xiaoyuan Gengx at AGR.GC.CA
Tue Sep 12 14:36:59 EDT 2006

I will try to be there David!

Thanks!

Xiaoyuan Geng
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
Telephone/Téléphone: 613-759-1895
Facsimile/Télécopieur: 613-759-1937
Room 1136, Neatby Bld., 960 Carling Av.
Ottawa, ON
K1A0C6
http://www.agr.gc.ca/nlwis
http://wms1.agr.gc.ca/gdas/gdas.phtml

-----Original Message-----
From: Sampson, David [mailto:dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca]
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 12:51 PM
To: users at ottawa.osgeo.org
Subject: [OTT_OSGEO] Meeting Thursday October 5

Hey Folks,

For our next venue for our meeting I thought we could try out the Clocktower Brew Pub.

This venue will allow us to have our own space in their basement from 6-7pm. Which will be perfect to ensure we keep the organized component to a minimum. Their basement is set up for food and drink and server will be through.

Map: http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Patty's%20Pub%201186%20Bank%20Street&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wl <http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Patty's%20Pub%201186%20Bank%20Street&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wl>

If you can drop me a line letting me know if you are planning to attend that would be great. Our booking is tentative until I get back to them with numbers. I just need a rough estimate. I would like to firm up plans soon, but I don't want to rush people.

This venue has wireless internet, which will be great for our presentation by Mike Adair on Map Builder.

Project Web Site: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/Home <http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/Home>

MapBuilder is a powerful, standards compliant geographic mapping client which runs in a web browser.

Key Features

*         Browser based mapping client

*         Standards compliant, supports the Open Geospatial consortium <http://www.opengeospatial.org/> (OGC) standards

*         Renders maps from Web Map Services (WMS), Web Feature Services (WFS), GeoRSS, Google Maps

*         Supports editing map features to Transactional Web Feature Services (WFS-T)

*         Allows users to build their own maps, then save and share them, using Web Map Context (WMC) and Open Web Services Context

*         Easy to use

*         Fast and interactive - built using  AJAX <http://adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php>

*         Works with most modern browsers (Firefox 1.0+, Internet Explorer 6.0+, Mozilla 1.3+, Navigator 6+)

*         Customisable and easy to extend

*         Open source under the LGPL <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html>  licence

*         No plugins required

If you wish to learn more, you can try the on-line interactive tutorial <http://geodiscover.cgdi.ca/mapbuilder/userGuide?page=intro>  or the Examples <http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/Examples>  and read the on-line user-guide <http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/User+Guide> .

Hope you can make it.

P.S Feel free to spread this invite to anyone you think might be interested in learning more about MAPBUILDER. They are welcome to attend.

Cheers