[Ottawa_users] Lat Long Calculations

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Jun 27 13:47:22 EDT 2007

Thanks Frank,

I was looking into maybe doing a projection to UTM, but I fear problems
when a distance is calculated across two different UTM zones... Does
this matter?

I have been looking for explanations of great circle distances.

Wikipedia presents some interesting equations but intepriting them intoo
a code structure is confusing a bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-circle_distance

I found a website that has a calculator (same old same old) but then
provides a snipet of perl script code for calculating the values
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~cvm/latlongdist.html

The challenge here is I believe this perl code is a geographic
measurement, not great circle.

I looked at PCL (python cartographic library) but there does not seem to
be any such measurements between two points.

I looked at GEOS and found that there are measurements between geometry
objects.
http://geos.refractions.net/ro/doxygen_docs/html/namespacegeos_1_1operat
ion_1_1distance.html
But getting into the GEOS library from python is proving a challenge.
Some posts even note that the measure function is not exposed to the C
API of Geos (FRANK?)
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/fwtools/2006-March/000318.html.

So what about the measuremnt function from PCL?  Well I am having to
battle PCL install on windows using FWTools. If this works I hope this
is even what I want. Furthermore I hope I can compile and package up an
application without an FWTOOLS dependency.

I would have thought someone would have a compas.py program that would
do all this, but I guess it's so simple that everyone reinvents their
own wheel when they need it. My chissel is not that precise to carve a
new wheel. (SMILE)

Thanks for the thoughts, keep me posted is any other ideas pop up.

Cheers