[Ottawa_users] Proposal to expand Chapter

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Oct 4 14:11:00 EDT 2007

I was approached, in the form of friendly teasing, throughout the FOSS4G
conference regarding how we are a very "exclusive" group, as we call
this chapter the "Ottawa Local Chapter".  Several members of the OSGeo
community pointed out to me over and over again how all other local
chapters include their entire countries:

Official OSGeo Chapters

     * China OSGeo Chapter
     * India OSGeo Chapter
     * Japan OSGeo Chapter
     * Ottawa OSGeo Chapter
     * New Mexico, USA OSGeo Chapter
     * Italian language OSGeo Chapter

OSGeo Chapters "In Formation"

     * Brazilian OSGeo Chapter
     * German language OSGeo Chapter
     * French language OSGeo Chapter
     * Australia OSGeo Chapter
     * Taiwan OSGeo Chapter

So, as co-chair of our "exclusive" chapter, I propose that we change
from our single city-based thinking to a much broader approach: as in
the Canadian OSGeo Chapter.  (our wiki page is down as I write this,
but...) Our goal could be to promote Open Source geospatial activity in
*Canada*.

Of course Ottawa meetings will still happen, but there is nothing to
stop members in, for example, Quebec City to organize a "Canadian OSGeo
Local Chapter" meeting in their city, and inform the rest of the chapter
of its happenings.

I am throwing this out there so we can all think about it, and then
discuss it over several beers next week (my kind of meeting hehe).

--
jeff