[Ottawa_users] Proposal to expand Chapter (Long)

Dave Sampson samper.d at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 14:58:31 EDT 2007

Hey Folks,

I thought I'd give my few dollars worth. First I would say that as long
as there is a group and meetings here in Ottawa I will be involved,
drink beer and chat and of course advocate FOSS4G. If we stay local
great, if we go provincial that's interesting,if someone can convinve
the group to go national then so be it, I'm there.

This issue is something a few of us have chatted about in the past and
spills over to the days of OGUG. When I first started asking around at
the Minneapolis FOSS4G conference a few years ago I remember being in a
GRASS workshop and asking if anyone was from the Ottawa area, that is
how I met some of the first GRASS users face to face.

Also, some guy named Frank Warmerdam said he was from Southern Ontario,
and looking back (not even knowing that I was ever going to meet Frank)
brushed him off (maybe a little too quick). The point was that I felt a
local chapter for GRASS users would have a lot of benefit. When I met
Scott and got access to a GIS Computer lab at Carleton I saw the
benefits pay off quickly as we had people attending workshops that have
never used FOSS4G.

My point is that a few of us saw the need so we organized. So would it
not be the case that if other areas (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and
Halifax maybe) saw a need for a group that one would form?  Or does the
community lack the abilitiy to organize itself?

Now getting back to OGUG I found quickly that our mailing list certainly
had people from all over Canada and Scott and I discussed the idea of
opening it up to a Canada wide context, and hence my deja-vue today on
this list. One barrier is the effect of dilution VS critical mass, which
I'm sure everyone can appreciate. In scholl I always got more out of
small classes or one on one then a large group.

We maintained contact with those people on the list from out of town
even though we focused on Ottawa. Perhaps some of those people from the
original OGUG list are still with us and reading this, in which case
their opinion would be valuable. But the companies we had on our list
from southern ontario, a student research group from Halifax and some
environment canada folks from out east have slipped away into silence.

There are two interesting cases in Nunavut that I have worked with in
the past. A government group that does environmental assesments wanted
some training on GRASS and a school was using GRASS as their chosen GIS
to teach high school students geography and such. This is a case where
there  would not be a critical mass of  people to support a local
chapter. But they proved they can feel welcome when adopted by what ever
group they choose. Perhaps a Canadian chapter could address some of the
remote users, but this would be the exception not the rule.

Sure having people from outside of Ottawa made our mailing list larger
by numbers but there was no increased traffic to the list, therefore no
great additional value. It made logistics more interesting as we tried
accommodating people visiting town, which we already do. With OGUG there
were many questions asked on the list that were repeats of the general
GRASS mailing list. We thought why duplicate answers when we can point
people to the source.

So another question would be what issues would a Canadian focused group
achieve?

One role I do see we (The Ottawa Chpater) should be stronger in is
acting like a Mentor group for others who want to start up a group. OGUG
and OMSUG members and now OSGEO Ottawa folks know what is needed to
setup a group and keep it going. We should be sharing and encouraging
other people to set up groups. It's not hard to find a couple of centres
where people are located.  You can setup all the community you want but
if the community is not set up by its members it will fail. Sorta like
foreign aid that does not involve the local authorities. It looks good,
but is quite dysfunctional and resource heavy.

Universities are the most logical bredding ground, and with Ottawa's 2
main universities (3 if you include St Paul) you'd think we would have
had more academic involvement. I am surprised our academic attendance is
regular but low. So somehow we are not meeting the needs of the academic
community here as well as we could.

I think with OMSUG and OGUG we experienced the issue of lacking critical
mass. Those groups had a hard time surviving on their own, or at least
it took a lot of energy from a few people to keep a medium sized group
going. Now at least the efforts can be shared along with others, or
people can remain anonymous as our group is large enough for those type
of individuals. If one person fails to organize a meeting because of
scheduling or personal issues the group still moves on now. Otherwise
you might loose momentum if the key person/people are not there.

I do think one step in the right direction is for us to demonstrate what
a local chapter can do to benefit the larger community. We can continue
to increase our presence at local geo related events. I am still waiting
for the right time for people to join together in a Ottawa specific data
project. We can start to hold information nights dedicated to bringing
in new people / companies to the wonders of FOSS4G. I'd like to see some
increased converage of FOSS4G in Ottawa's plethora of tech magazines and
e-ines too. There are no shortage of ideas, but we must not stretch
ourselves too thin. To get these ideas rolling on a national scale with
the small group we have have now I think would burn out alot of already
over tasked people. Besides, chapter related activities are supposed to
be beneficial all around as we volunteer our time and energy.

If a critical mass of FOSS4G supporters (30+) can come up with a
commitment to make a Canada wide representation then perhaps that should
happen. Moreover, if 30 people exist outside the National capital region
I think that we could but on our geographers hat and find clusters where
it would make sense to have separate chapters, and then we can help them
along the way. Each chapter would need a key motivator though.

Right now as I see it Ottawa is the only place in Canada where they have
decided to organize. If others are looking to organize with us then they
can join vicariously through the list and visit whenever they can. A
Canadian list should not however address the same questions or concerns
that the regular OSGEO list does or the same issues that an Ottawa
specific list would. If people want a Canada wide coverage I think they
should go and form local chapters first and then we all decide together
what would best suit Canada. Remember that some countries can be crossed
in a few hours, Canada is large enough to necessitate many small groups.

Lastly, as we found with the OGC conference in town we can attract
people by planning our meetings timely around large conferences.

In short, a name is a name. A group is defined by its members, and right
now the force that makes us eat, drink and present is from the Ottawa
Region. As for others joining the list, they have always been welcomed,
if  someone is visiting town and wants to drop in that works too (eg
Refractions group). The fact that there is discussion about opening our
local group to wider audience tells me the demand for local chapters is
not being met. How can we assist in helping others meet that demand?

Those are some of my thoughts.