[Ottawa_users] Proposal to expand Chapter

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Tue Oct 9 10:59:25 EDT 2007

> Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
> > Thanks Debbie; correct, I've been working on creating a GTA
> chapter in
> > recent weeks.  I agree with J.F. here, there would be pros and cons
> > here to starting a Canadian chapter.
> >
> > I would see a Canadian chapter to be of value to those in a
> Canadian
> > locale who do not have a chapter (which, currently, is
> everyone not in
> > Ottawa).
>
> Tom,
>
> What value do you see a Canadian chapter having for these
> people?  If it is for support, I'm not sure why Canadian's
> wouldn't just participate directly in project and
> international mailing lists.  To me a Canadian chapter is
> primarily of utility to pursue "Canada specific" objectives
> such as promotion or influencing public policy.

I would see the value of a Canadian chapter to be an overarching body of
local branches (which may not do very much in reality), and a space for
those who want to discuss OSGeo issues pertaining to their locale, etc.
where a local [insert_Canadian_locale_here] branch/etc. does not exist.

> But from a practical point of view, not that many people are
> interested in such objectives.
>
> In my humble opinion the reason we don't have active
> Canadian, US or UK chapters of OSGeo is because they would be
> too broad for really local organizing, and yet artificially
> narrow when we can participate directly in the English
> language activities of OSGeo and the projects at the global level.

I would see this as analogous to the Aust-NZ chapter.

> Many national chapters really exist primarily as a language
> based support group for those who find it somewhat difficult
> to participate in the global English mailing lists.  We don't
> need that, which (I think) has limited interest in a national chapter.
>
> > On the other hand, putting things "national" could (could) cause an
> > oversight into recognizing / dealing with local issues.
> >
> > What about having a Canadian chapter with branches?  This
> way, anyone
> > across Canada can participate, and those with a critical
> mass can call
> > themselves a branch.  The bottom line IMHO is being as inclusive as
> > possible.
>
> Why not just have Canadian's participate directly in OSGeo?

Believe it or not, a lot of folks are not comfortable in participating
directly.  While I personally wonder why this happens, it is a reality.
I can give you specific examples offline if you like.

..Tom