[Ottawa_users] Proposal to expand Chapter

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 11 12:35:22 EDT 2007

On 9-Oct-07, at 9:54 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> 1- The main value I see in a local chapter such as the Ottawa
> Chapter is the monthly get-together. Get away from your desk for a
> few hours and chat informally with people who have similar
> interests to yours.
>
> 2- There are already plenty of lists to discuss OSGeo technical or
> policy questions/issues online, we don't need to replicate that at
> a local or even national level. However all that electronic
> communication lacks something that the local chapter can offer:
> face to face communication.

And on a similar note, having a broad umbrella for Canucks to gather
under, will undoubtedly help other local people find each other.
This could help start local chapters as parts of the national
community start to find each in a more meaningful way than simply
asking on the discuss list.  With that in mind I encourage all
Canadians to at least put their name on the Canada wiki page.

> 3- The main value I would see in a Canadian chapter would be the
> same kind of get-together once or twice a year

I agree and think many others have it in the back of their mind
hoping we'll do something.  Since there is no U.S.A. chapter, we
could also invite them to come up ;-)

I won't belabour the point here, but there are particular OSGeo
fundraising opportunities that could only be done, or be done better/
easier, if there was a Canadian chapter.  Of course this is
administrative level stuff and not so much focused on getting people
together.

Tyler