[Ottawa_users] Options to convert a plain TIF into tiled/pyramidTIF

Geng, Xiaoyuan Gengx at AGR.GC.CA
Thu Aug 28 11:04:58 EDT 2008

Thanks Frank!I will give a try with your instructions. What I am trying
to do is to prototype an application to serve up our scanned soil maps
using a very simple image server (we could use the Mapserver). For now I
am investigating the IIP image server which can handle tiled Tiff only.
For example I need to convert this image,
http://wms1.agr.gc.ca/gdas/download/bc101_map1.TIF , into a tile Tiff.
So the conversion process will be external command line work using which
ever tool that works. If the procedures work well, we can batch process
all the scanned images after.

All the best!

Xiaoyuan

-----Original Message-----
From: ottawa_users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:ottawa_users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Frank
Warmerdam
Sent: August 28, 2008 10:31 AM
To: Ottawa (Canada) Local Chapter List
Subject: Re: [Ottawa_users] Options to convert a plain TIF into
tiled/pyramidTIF

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Geng, Xiaoyuan <Gengx at agr.gc.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to convert many scanned TIF images into tiled/pyramid TIF
as
> required by a FastCGI based image server. The options are to use vips,
> imagemigick, Photshop, nip2 and etc. None of the options is working
for me
> so far. I just wonder if anybody can confirm the option of using
libtiff
> tools. If so, please elaborate! For example, what is the command in a
Linux
> environment for this?

Xiaoyuan,

The tiffcp command to convert a tiff file to tiled format would be
something like:

  tiffcp -t in.tif out.tif

However, there are multiple ways of handling pyramiding in TIFF format
(internally
and externally).  So you will need to be more specific about what you
are trying
to achieve in this regard.  For instance, you could create GDAL style
internal
overviews using the gdal_translate and gdaladdo commands.

 gdal_translate -co TILED=YES in.tif out.tif
 gdaladdo out.tif 2 4 8 16 32

Best regards,
------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam,
warmerdam at pobox.com