[Ottawa_users] GeoNetwork

Dave Sampson samper.d at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 00:06:34 EDT 2008

Regie,

GeoNetwork is a program, not a network per-se. It uses OGC standards for
bpublishing and browsing other OGC and z39.50 servers (last I checked).

The CGDI on the other hand is a network (in a manner of speaking) that
is based on open standards, some of which can be access by Geonetwork.

If you have data to share and you want to provide catalogue services to
other people, including those on the CGDI then GeoNetwork is a great
tool. If you want an external client to search other peoples catalogues,
including those on the CGDI then GeoNetwork can help there too.

A non client means of browsing data on the CGDI and other related
sources you can check out http://geodiscover.cgdi.ca/

Now, whether or not Geonetwork is a product or a network is an
interesting point. there is a network of NODES that use the software to
publish data, many of the nodes are base don United Nations initiatives
(http://geonetwork-opensource.org/geonetwork-nodes).

There is a means of entering any NODE you want to search, last I checked
it was as easy as changing a config file. So you can set up nodes to
access and publish to the CGDI, other GeoNetwork nodes or any other OGC
compliant catalogue service you can find.

Just some thoughts based off of trial experiments to use GeoNetwork as a
component of a CGDI toolbox.

Cheers

>>> Regie