[Ottawa_users] Open Source Solutions that handle MGRS

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Jan 10 07:52:33 EST 2008

Hmmm,

I think the key for this use of MGRS is the ability to communicate with
other searching authorities like police and military. Apparently many
SAR teams are moving over to MGRS for use in the field.

Can the code below be used using any of the command line tools? Or are
they stand alone snipets?  Could a python script exploit the snippets
for use in a plugin or something?

Cheers

-----Original Message-----
From: ottawa_users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:ottawa_users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Frank
Warmerdam
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 22:08
To: Ottawa (Canada) Local Chapter List
Subject: Re: [Ottawa_users] Open Source Solutions that handle MGRS

Sampson, David wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I'm working with a local Search and rescue group as they naviagte the
> world of mapping software.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with using
> MGRS (Millitary Grid Reference System) in open source packages.
>
> I looked at both PROJ and the EPSG code listing and could not find
MGRS.
> IS it there buried in something else?
>
> The discussion lists had something about adding MGRS to PROJ but found

> nothing recent to confirm the addition of the feature.

Dave,

MGRS is a bit hard for most projection engines to handle since it
doesn't treat locations as a coordinate tuple, but as a single value
(essentially x/y digits interleaved).

There is C code for converting MGRS coordinates into something more
usable in the GDAL NITF driver.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/frmts/nitf/mgrs.c
   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/frmts/nitf/mgrs.h

This code was (I think) derived from geotrans or perhaps nima muse.

Best regards,
warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo,
http://osgeo.org