[Ottawa_users] New Brunswick User looking for help with GRASS and Quantum GIS - may be of interest to new users

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Wed Jan 23 12:40:59 EST 2008

Dave Sampson has done an excellent job at providing advice for much
of your message, so I don't have a whole lot to add.  A couple
points, though:

On 22-Jan-08, at 16:48 , Alyre Chiasson wrote:

> My first concerns are the “unkown”s and the second is that the
> projection is listed as “Oblique Sterographic” and not “Double”.
> Maybe “Oblique” is actually a “Stero” projection? Somewhat
> disconcerting for someone starting out. I confirmed the EPSG code
> from: http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/2953/

I haven't used these specific projections, so don't have a lot to
say, except that presumably if the EPSG code does properly match the
projection used, OGR / PROJ should be able to take care of all the
details?  Others on the list, and the OGR list, as Dave points out,
are going to be much more authoritative than me on this, though.

> I assume the dbf file gets imported as well. What happens to the
> labels which are in the dbf file? In the original shapefiles from
> Environment Canada the labels are missing from the upper part of
> New Brunswick because in the original they are over Nova Scotia
> (image1). Will the labels be readjusted when the original file gets
> clipped? I can’t fine anything on how label placement is
> determined. However, the first hurdle is getting the basic maps
> into GRASS because I don’t think Quantum can do the above.

Dave has addressed the fact that yes, the whole "layer" (in ArcGIS-
speak) including the .dbf of attributes comes across in the
translation.  But the "labels" should not be thought of as the actual
data.  Think of the spatial entities being in one database (the
shapefile and its friends), and the coordinates of every object
(point, line, or area) are in that database, and there's a common ID
value that allows attribute data in the .dbf to be associated with
each of those objects.  There is no separate "location of the label"
- there is just a spatial object with associated geographic
coordinates, which is linked to various attributes, and these
attributes can be visualized with different symbology.  So when you
transform the coordinates in the shapefile, there is only the one set
of coordinates involved.

In the example of point measurements, the shapefile of points would
be transformed from one coordinate to another.  Each of these points
also has an ID, which allows it to be joined to a table of
attributes.  ONE option for visualizing those points is to map out
labels.  The position of the label is a combination of the location
of the point, plus some set of instructions to the specific GIS
software you're using about how to display that label with reference
to the point.  Those instructions are specific to whatever software
you're using.  Pg 265 in the GRASS book (3rd ed.) talks a little bit
about this, but it would be different for QGIS, because label
placement is a cartographic question, not inherent to the spatial data.

In your example, if your layer that is driving the label drawing is
transformed properly, the points should always be in the right location.

I hope that helps, I'm not completely sure I've understood your
problem correctly.

> I don’t know if GRASS can do the nearest neighbour isotherm type of
> calculation I have proposed above with some king of script but I
> will be doing more reading or you can suggest where I might look.
> Unless Quantum would be an easier tool to do the above, I wanted to
> use it mainly as a viewer for the resulting product.

Perhaps an interpolation approach would be useful?  See section 6.8
in the GRASS book.

For any kind of spatial processing work like this, the possibilities
in QGIS are really just QGIS calling GRASS modules, so really it's
GRASS doing the "work" and QGIS visualizing it anyway.

Cheers,
Scott Mitchell
Carleton University