[Ottawa_users] September meeting and OSM event

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Wed Sep 9 10:00:39 EDT 2009

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Sampson, David wrote:

> What type of data are we trying to map?
>
> My understanding is that in Canada the full road network is provided by
> NRCAN to OSM. So would the purpose be to map other features?  Such as?

   After Richard Weait's talk I went to my neighbourhood and noticed we
weren't there.  In place of our streets was a tracks that had physically
been gone from this location for a long time.

   I just looked and our neighbourhood is now there:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.370601&lon=-75.666139&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF
. I was wondering if this was done by volunteers, but it may be that OSM
just received updated maps from NRCAN.

   Is there documentation somewhere that describes this data donation?  I'm
always curious when a Canadian government (any level) is opening up data.
This is always good as an example when talking to the next
department/project/etc for releasing data.

IE: I'd love Canada Post postal code data to be released.  There is a
specific usage for public participation that is currently restricted by
this data being closed.
   http://www.digital-copyright.ca/search/node/PCFRF

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"