[Ottawa_users] Volunteer project for Fair Vote Canada

Glenn Brauen gbrauen at connect.carleton.ca
Fri Apr 29 15:29:19 EDT 2011

Hi,

I was actually playing around with a similar but different idea, using the poll results from 2008 for Ottawa West-Nepean.  Different because I twisted the equations to show the cushion enjoyed by the leading candidate at each poll and coloured the layer accordingly, differentiating between Cons vs non-Cons in computing the cushion.

I produced a KML, so it can be overlaid on Google Earth/Maps to get the street references for orientation purposes.

This was a rough demo so the pop-ups defined are just a quick attribute dump.

Workflow:
1) Convert the poll boundaries available from Elections Canada to the coordinate system used in Google Maps/Earth (EPSG: 4326).  I used ogr2ogr from GDAL to do this.

2) Produce a shapefile joining the poll boundaries to 2008 election results.  This was done in QGIS.

3) Play with colouring and export as KML.  For this I used Shape2Earth (http://shape2earth.com/default.aspx) which is a plugin for the MapWindow GIS (http://www.mapwindow.org/)

The export tools are free but a bit rough and it takes some tinkering.  A copy of the generated KML is here:
http://catch22campaign.ca/group/ottawawestnepean/forum/attachment/download?id=5139919%3AUploadedFile%3A16693

Hope this is useful...

Regards,
Glenn
===
Glenn Brauen, Ph.D. Candidate
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre
Department of Geography
Carleton University
email: glenn at gbrauen.ca
home page: https://gcrc.carleton.ca/confluence/x/EoAH