[Ottawa_users] SFD & GIS-Day. Deadlines for abstracts

Fabien Ancelin fabien.ancelin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 05:20:11 PDT 2013

Hello folks,

You will find below the list of abstracts. Javed and I need to meet next
week in order to decide what are going to be the next steps and if we can
make it happen. Meanwhile, we are considering this event is still on.

We need to know how many people plan to be there. The event would happen on
Sunday September 15th. I would like to have an idea of who would be
interested in it before we put more time effort in it. ("I wont't attend"
is a better info than no answer at all :)

The sooner we know that the better. Indeed, I will most likely have to be
in France the first weeks of September for family reasons, and I won't be
able to put much effort at that point in time. I shall be back just in time
for SFD.

Cheers,

Javed  - Application of TDW FOSS GeoStack for Mineral Exploration

Detection of subsurface Mineral accumulations using Remote Sensing Imagery
(RSI) interpretation had its beginning in Macro/Micro Hydrocarbon seeps,
Mineral Alteration Studies, Structural and Lineament Analysis. Hydrocarbon
seeps are direct indicators of subsurface Petroleum accumulations, Mineral
Alteration studies indicate the source of hydrothermal alteration,
structural and lineament analysis gives the potential for Mineral
accumulation. RSI use is one of the key methods for understanding the
surface and subsurface Mineralization: potential, genesis and quality
without drilling. Remote sensing is an important tool for detecting
subsurface mineralization. The detection process involves the integration
of geospatial data from a variety of format and a numerous sources. Turning
Data into Wealth (TDW) presents a stackable system that allows the:
storage, visualization and analyses of geospatial data. This open source
based software solution integrates an extensible geospatial database,
visualization tools, analysis, and metadata handling tools. This system can
be deployed from a USB stick or within a Virtual Machine environment.
Preliminary case studies involving the detection of hydrocarbon seeps,
Mineral Alteration, Structural and Lineament detection will be discussed.

Javed - Application of TD4W FOSS GeoStack to Banking

.

TD4W Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) GeoStack demonstrates the
possibility of utilizing a geospatial stack based on FOSS for: Accounting,
Community Currencies Management and Banking.   The TDW Geostack runs on the
Ubuntu operating system and is deployed either on a USB stick or a virtual
machine. The basic geospatial components include a:  database
(PostgreSQL/PostGIS, SpatiaLite), metadata handling (GeoNetwork),
visualization (QGIS, uDIG), analysis (GRASS GIS, Opticks) and Cyclos
(Accounting) tools. Components are chosen based on the component’s maturity
level, capabilities, and high degree of interoperability. TD4W believes
that this combination of properties allow for a Geostack that has an
acceptable level of: usability, ability to do complex analyses, and ability
to import and export different data formats between components as needed.
Interoperability is especially important since a component may not have the
capability to do a specific analysis and it becomes necessary to export the
data into another component for further processing. Case studies involving
Community Currencies and Forensic Accounting will be discussed.

Fabien - Application of Open Trip Planner for Public Transit Routing and
Network Analysis

Launched in 2009 as a collaborative project, Open Trip Planner is today one
of the most advanced trip itinerary planning. Benefiting from the Open Data
Movement that encourage public agencies to release their data, and the wide
adoption of GTFS standard, it is today as easy as 1,2,3 to get a public
transit routing application running. OTP has also grown to integrate public
transit analysis tool and real time information. The presentation will
demonstrate the capabilities of this platform.

Paul  - Abstract Pending