[Ottawa_users] GeoOttawa group launched: first meetup on nov 6

richard burcher drownedfrog at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 11:06:39 PDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I've launched GeoOttawa this weekend. The first meetup is slated for nov 6,
for details [1].

Had this group idea since returning from the State of the Map in San
Francisco in June & it's only been reinforced from FOSS4G 2103 UK. After
talking to the folks running geo_dc & mapSF, I really see that Ottawa has
need for a very wide, open & diverse geo group that is focused on
sharing/learning/making. I really like the geo_dc & mapSF philosophy; few
rules, no affiliations with any group and an attitude of let's talk
problems, share solutions and make things regardless of what software or
data you use. All open source & proprietary welcome.

My intent is to bridge the gap of geo between open source & proprietary and
to reach out to those folks & groups that might not think geo in the sense
that we do. I envision lighting talks, presentations, workshops and all
rounding making/hacking of geo software/data & hardware.

I see this group as augmenting the already great geo groups in Ottawa; those
being our's and the GoGeomatics folks. Each serves a different audience with
different needs but all contribute to a great geo scene!

Join us next month in a pretty cool coffee bar (they serve beer, food & have
free wifi) [2] and let's really establish Ottawa as the geo hangout place.

Cheers,

Richard

[1] http://www.meetup.com/GeoOttawa/
[2] http://www.thedailygrindartcafe.com/index.html