[Ottawa_users] Summary of monthly meeting (May 22 2014)

Regie Alam regie.alam at gmail.com
Sat May 24 09:23:31 PDT 2014

Hello Fabien,

    Thanks very much for the summary, and your intention to continue being
active with OSGEO Ottawa. You're doing a very good job!

   I don't see any problem with you working with ESRI. Personally, I don't
see it as ESRI (or other commercial software) vs open source. As GIS
practitioners we should use the tools that suit our applications and
clients best. Sometimes it's closed/commercial, sometimes open source, and
sometimes both.

   I am in the same boat with you on FOSS4G Ottawa. Although very
interesting I don't think we have the capacity to tackle an event that
size. If the interest is there we could start with something small, maybe a
local (Eastern Ontario) event.

   I am up for the geocaching event. Let me know how I can help.

   I'd like to know more about the hackathon event with EnvisionGeomatics.
For example, what's the scope? Just involving open data? Will it be some
kind of competition?

   I look forward to your presentation next week.

Cheers,
Regie