[Ottawa_users] Presentation on Apr 21

Fabien Ancelin fabien.ancelin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 14:19:39 PDT 2016

Hi folks,

For April 21st, I will give a quick talk on Voronoi Cell generation using
line and point input using line and point inputs.

Most GIS software allow user to generate Voronoi cells from points. It
becomes a challenge to generate Voronoi cells with line and points, making
 certain problem difficult to solve. In order to support some work I have
done for Esri Canada, I have created / contributed and used two APIs  in
Python and .NET that can be used to solve those problems. Those API are
mainly enhanced wrappers around the C++ Boost Voronoi API (
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/libs/polygon/doc/voronoi_main.htm).

On April 21st, I want introduce you to the kind of problems those wrapper
can solve from a GIS perspective, and I hope to trigger a reaction from you
there. I will present how to prepare your GIS data to be usable by the
those API, and how to use the output of the boost library to find the
answers to your GIS problems. Finally, I will give you a quick introduction
on how to use those wrappers in C# and python and gave you a demonstration.

Those two API I will present are Open Source, and available on github:

   - SharpBoostVoronoi, developped by me is the C# wrapper:
   https://github.com/fabanc/SharpBoostVoronoi
   - PyVoronoi is developed by Voxel8. Originally designed to returns
   Voronoi segments only for 3D printing, I have contributed to that library
   so that it returns Voronoi cells object and support point and line input.
   The latter change is actually a fresh update I just pushed to the master
   branch. It's approval is still pending but the code is available online as
   well. Hopefully the code get merged soon enough. The url of the master
   project is https://github.com/Voxel8/pyvoronoi

The presentation will be between 15 and 30 minutes based on people's
interest. Let Jerome and Javed know who will be planning to attend early.
This way, we can book the big room if that's required.