[owslib-devel] WPS initialization

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 05:52:29 PDT 2012

Luca: just checking out the great work on WPS (I'll be using this for CSW harvesting of WPS in pycsw) and have a question/comment:

>>> from owslib.wps import WebProcessingService
>>> wps = WebProcessingService('http://cida.usgs.gov/climate/gdp/process/WebProcessingService', verbose=False)
>>> wps.getcapabilities()

Typically in OWSLib, we have invoked a GetCapabilities request when the constructor is called (negating the need for an extra getcapabilities() call).  At the same time, I see the value of not calling GetCapabilities right away (in the CSW module, I've added the skip_caps parameter).

What do you think of calling capabilities as part of the constructor?  This would unify things with the rest of the codebase behaviour on init.  We could leave wps.getcapabilities() in there, which a user can call later, if wps is init'd with something like skip_caps.

Thoughts?  Thanks for the consideration.

..Tom