[owslib-devel] tests intro

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 14:01:29 PDT 2012

Hi,

could anybody give me short intro about how the tests in owslib are
structured and how they should be used?

I have tried:

cd  tests
sh rundoctests.dist

And ended up with 16 errors.

Any way, how to run each test separately, than in a batch?

And: My experience shows, that using URLs in service testing is
dangerous and leads often to non working tests. The tests should IMHO
not be about testing, weather some service is alive (what is actually
tested), but parsing capabilities of returned XML (what we need to test).

Proposal: instead of testing URLs, each test should be constructed, so
it loads file stored at the harddrive and then it will be parsed. In
this way, we are also more flexible in test constructions, because we
can add certain elements to XML files according to what needs to be
tested "by hand" and we would not be dependent on external services.

I have a feeling, that at least dozen of my fails are caused by that the
http://ndg3beta.badc.rl.ac.uk/cows/demo_hadcm3/wfs? is no longer available.

Any opinion?

Jachym
--