[OWSLib-devel] Couple questions about owslib.iso:MD_Metadata

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 16:23:16 PDT 2013

________________________________
> From: ryan.clark at azgs.az.gov
> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:05:59 -0700
> To: owslib-devel at lists.osgeo.org
> CC: steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
> Subject: [OWSLib-devel] Couple questions about owslib.iso:MD_Metadata
>
> I tried to map out for myself the relationship between the
> owslib.iso:MD_Metadata class and the XPaths in ISO XML. I was trying to
> get my head around what owslib supports, where it supports
> multiplicity, and that kind of thing. I wrote it out as a json object
> and might iterate on it once or twice. If it's every helpful to anyone
> else, its here: https://gist.github.com/rclark/5154432

Thanks for this, very valuable!  Wow, given a driver like this, I could see how one could parse on the fly :)

> I came away with two questions:
> - How come some items are recorded as dict and other's get dedicated
> classes? For example, srv:containsOperations and
> gmd:descriptiveKeywords end up in dict objects, but there's a CI_Date
> class.

iirc, the code initially came out of tighter requirements/use case, and building it out over time has resulted in the inconsistencies.  The whole owslib.iso.MD_Metadata model would benefit from a once over.  Any proposals/ideas/pull requests are most certainly welcome.

> - It looks like there's discrepancy in how extents are handled between
> MD_DataIdentification and SRV_ServiceIdentification. If I'm reading it
> right, I don't think the SRV_ServiceIdentification case will even work
> properly. Should I adjust to use the same logic in the two situations?

Not sure I fully understand, don't they both use EX_Extent?  Having said this, pull requests to unify them more would be greatly appreciated.

..Tom