[OWSLib-devel] bug in SOS 1.0.0 get_observation?

Joe Futrelle jfutrelle at whoi.edu
Fri Nov 1 11:41:18 PDT 2013

I hope I'm posting this to the right list.

Reading the owslib/swe/observation/sos100.py it appears that
get_observation only returns a response in exception handlers. When all
those fall through it returns None, which I don't think is correct.

This is in release version 0.8.2, here's the offending section of the code:

         response = openURL(base_url, data, method,
username=self.username, password=self.password).read()
         try:
             tr = etree.fromstring(response)
             if tr.tag == nspath_eval("ows:ExceptionReport", namespaces):
                 raise ows.ExceptionReport(tr)
         except ows.ExceptionReport:
             raise
         except BaseException:
             return response

I think the fix is just to add a return clause immediately after the
except clauses?

Apologies if this is me not understanding the API.

Or if this has already been patched.

And the other usual disclaimers.

--
Joe Futrelle