[OWSLib-users] error in CSW insert transaction : Document is XML, but not CSW-ish

Chiarello Ernest Ernest.Chiarello at univ-fcomte.fr
Mon May 2 03:12:56 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I am trying to insert a metadata in GeoNetwork, according OWSlib
documentation <https://geopython.github.io/OWSLib/> but it fails with
this error message :
RuntimeError: Document is XML, but not CSW-ish

But above all, i think quotes are missing in the csw transaction. you
should write :

>>>csw.transaction(ttype='insert',  typename='gmd:MD_Metadata',  record=open("file.xml").read()) instead of : >>>
csw.transaction(ttype='insert',  typename='gmd:MD_Metadata',  record=open(file.xml).read())

Next i recovered a file from another GeoNetwork, in order to be sure
that the metadata file would be correct.

wget
https://georchestra-mshe.univ-fcomte.fr/geonetwork/srv/fre/xml.metadata.get?id=17804
-O metadata.xml

And then i tried to insert this metadata in my GeoNetwork Dev machine :

 >>> geonetwork =
'http://geonetwork-mshe.univ-fcomte.fr:8080/geonetwork/srv/fre/csw'
 >>> from owslib.csw import CatalogueServiceWeb
 >>> csw = CatalogueServiceWeb(geonetwork)
 >>> csw.transaction(ttype='insert', typename='gmd:MD_Metadata',
record=open("metadata.xml").read())
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/owslib/csw.py", line 446, in
transaction
     self._invoke()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/owslib/csw.py", line 680, in
_invoke
     raise RuntimeError('Document is XML, but not CSW-ish')
RuntimeError: Document is XML, but not CSW-ish

Can anybody explain to me why my metadata.xml file is not CSW-ish ?

Thanks in advance,

Ernest.

Ernest CHIARELLO  -  Ernest.Chiarello at univ-fcomte.fr
UMR6049 ThéMA - Théoriser et Modéliser pour Aménager
CNRS / université de Bourgogne Franche-Comté
32 rue Mégevand 25030 BESANÇON Cedex

Tel : 03 81 66 54 80           Mob : 07 82 99 11 08