[OWSLib-users] Issues with WMS example code

Trent O okesontj at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 22:20:15 PST 2016

Hi all,

I am switching from using Matlab's Mapping toolbox to python and need to
access elevation data from WMS servers. I installed OWSLib, but was unable
to get the example code to successfully run. The example code for other
services (eg. WFS) worked successfully. I believe that the problem could be
caused by an update to the WMS version (now 1.3.0) .

Below is the error that I get when I run the example code.

requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPConnectionPool(host='
wms.jpl.nasa.gov', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url:
/wms.cgi?service=WMS&request=GetCapabilities&version=1.1.1 (Caused by
NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection
object at 0x000001F5F0B5B7B8>: Failed to establish a new connection:
[WinError 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party
did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection
failed because connected host has failed to respond',))

Thank you for your help.

TJ