[Pacific] Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source usage in European Public Sector

Nomeneta Saili nome.saili at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 13:04:45 PDT 2013

Hi Edwin,

I think resistance to change is the problem. When people are comfortable
and are use to what works they are restive to change. With more systems
getting integrated it is even harder for some people to imagine changing
some of the tried and tested proprietary software components to opensource.

>From my experience here the major cause for change is when a proprietary
software maintenance cost is not sustainable or current systems can't or
not flexible enough to meet new business process or functional requirements
which is when opensource becomes a very viable alternative.

Regards,

Nome