[Pacific] FOSS4G Pacific Islands

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 11:36:09 PST 2017

Hello,

not to douse anyone's excitement, but having just attended the main annual
geospatial event in the region (the Pacific GIS and RS 2017 conference)
whose attendance numbers were not that great, I wonder how realistic a
separate conference event FOSS4G Pacific really is. Travel money seems
***incredibly*** tight in the region so I have my doubts that you can bring
together a crowd large enough to have an actual conference. That said the
enthusiasm for geospatial open source seems great and the severe lack of
money makes open source a strong candidate for many sectors usually
dominated by commercial GIS. I could imagine that a series of smaller event
such as workshops that can travel from island to island could be a
successful approach for the Pacific Islands.

Regards,

Martin