[Pacific] OSGeo regional chapter

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Thu May 16 03:01:46 PDT 2019

Hello Pacific Islands!

As you may be aware, we are in the process of forming a regional entity,
called OSGeo Oceania, to serve as a foundation for growing an open
geospatial community across Oceania. The success of FOSS4G SotM Oceania
<http://2018.foss4g-oceania.org> in Melbourne last year showed us all that
there is an enthusiastic and engaged community.

In the Terms of Reference
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=13aZ6L08ke1-l32I7c00MahyEKgxeZkq8> we
adopted in December, one of our priority actions for 2019 is to form an
Oceania chapter of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo). Before we
do this, though, we want to consult with the Pacific Islands chapter, to
make sure we're working together in harmony.

We understand the existing Pacific Islands chapter is quite active, and we
definitely don't want to give anyone the impression that OSGeo Oceania is
intending to take over any of its activities, even though the Pacific
Islands in within our geographic area of interest. Rather, we would see the
two organisations working closely together to coordinate activities and
support each other. One project we could collaborate on in the short term
is our upcoming Travel Grant Program for FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019.

Anyway - please respond to this list, or contact me directly if you prefer,
if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions about forming a
regional chapter, or even just to shout out your support! With your
support, we'll approach OSGeo in a couple of weeks with our application, so
let us know what you think.

We want to form strong bonds across our region, so we're always looking for
people from the community to step forward and get involved. If you want to
be engaged in this initiative, please get in touch.

Thanks!

John Bryant
on behalf of OSGeo Oceania
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oceania