[Pacific] OSGeo regional chapter

Vasiti Soko vasiti.soko at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 13:38:59 PDT 2019

Bula John/Edwin
Thanks for the great work
I am also copying in this email the Pacific GIS/RS user group for their information and for their network

Many thanksVasiti Soko

    On Friday, May 17, 2019, 7:02:26 AM GMT+12, Edwin Liava'a <etuini.liavaa at gmail.com> wrote:

 Greetings John,
I fully support having a regional chapter.
A blessed day.
Best regards,
Edwin
On Thu, 16 May 2019, 11:02 pm John Bryant, <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Pacific Islands!
As you may be aware, we are in the process of forming a regional entity, called OSGeo Oceania, to serve as a foundation for growing an open geospatial community across Oceania. The success of FOSS4G SotM Oceania in Melbourne last year showed us all that there is an enthusiastic and engaged community.
In the Terms of Reference we adopted in December, one of our priority actions for 2019 is to form an Oceania chapter of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo). Before we do this, though, we want to consult with the Pacific Islands chapter, to make sure we're working together in harmony.
We understand the existing Pacific Islands chapter is quite active, and we definitely don't want to give anyone the impression that OSGeo Oceania is intending to take over any of its activities, even though the Pacific Islands in within our geographic area of interest. Rather, we would see the two organisations working closely together to coordinate activities and support each other. One project we could collaborate on in the short term is our upcoming Travel Grant Program for FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019.
Anyway - please respond to this list, or contact me directly if you prefer, if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions about forming a regional chapter, or even just to shout out your support! With your support, we'll approach OSGeo in a couple of weeks with our application, so let us know what you think.

We want to form strong bonds across our region, so we're always looking for people from the community to step forward and get involved. If you want to be engaged in this initiative, please get in touch.

Thanks!
John Bryanton behalf of OSGeo Oceaniahttps://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oceania