[pdal] DLL plug-ins to PDAL

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Mon Aug 29 11:56:01 EDT 2011

I've had a possible customer express interest in dynamic loading too, so
this is definitely something we should be plumbing in.

A couple additions to Howard's comments:

* Actually StageBase is the root class these days -- Writer and Stage both
derive from StageBase, and Reader/Filter/MultiFilter derive in turn from
Stage.  (StageBase isn't a very inspired name, I know.  Happy to change if
desired.)

* I might suggest using subdirs for naming -- that is, instead of
<dll_dir>/PDAL_LasReader_Reader.dll, maybe <dll_dir>/readers/LasReader.dll
-- I dunno why, but this seems a little prettier to me.

* StageFactory is the class that knows how to instantiate a driver when
given the driver name (like "drivers.readers.las").  It is what is used by
PipelineManager, and it knows about all the "built-in" driver classes, and I
added a function to allow you to add a new driver on the fly -- you give it
the driver name and a pointer to a "creator" function.

* Knowledge of the mapping from filename extension to reader/writer driver
type is currently out at the app level (in AppSupport), but it might be nice
to put this into StageFactory too.  Or maybe each reader/writer driver
should have a static function listing the extensions it thinks it knows
about.  (But note I'm not in favor of putting an automatic file-opener
system in the core library; that really belongs in AppSupport.)

* StageFactory is not a singleton, but maybe arguably should be.

I'm going to go look at GDAL's code, more as I think of it.

-mpg

I'll
> give a short synopsis of GDAL's plugin architecture and then provide a
little
> bit of partially coalesced thoughts on how we can implement it in PDAL.
>
> GDAL's plugin architecture is made possible by GDAL's driver architecture.
> Each driver has an interface with a set of functions that must be
conformed
> to in order to be a Driver. Drivers, consisting of shared objects
(.so/.dylib or
> .dll) placed in a specially-named directory), are loaded at runtime using
the
> DriverRegistrar's AutoLoadDrivers method. When the caller issues the
> GDAL_RegisterAll() method, these drivers are then loaded. They are
> unloaded using the CleanupAll() method.
>
> The AutoLoadDrivers method walks each file in the specially named
directory
> that conforms to the gdal_DriverName.dll naming convention. The
> DriverName part of the file name must exactly match the name of the driver
> to be loaded. When found, gdal_DriverName.dll has a symbol in it called
> GDALRegister_DriverName that is called. This method does things like check
> for ABI compatibility, create a new Driver instance, set callbacks for
methods
> that match the driver interface, and place it in the DriverRegistrar.
>

> PDAL doesn't have the concept of a do-it-all driver for one datatype.
Instead
> it has at least three (maybe four) major objects -- Reader, Writer,
Filter,