[pdal] RE: Gist notes

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Dec 9 15:44:16 EST 2011

2011/12/9 Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at flaxen.com>:
> Right, but I've got an little language I've written for writing "pdal filter expressions"
> and I'm wondering what's the best representation in that language to use for a GUID.

AFAIU, you need some form of "quoting" for GUID to recognize it.
Then, I'd go for {} as it is a well recognized convention, if not standard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_unique_identifier#Text_encoding

> Syntactically and lexically, a guid string of form (a) looks like a mashup of a hex constant,
> a variable name identifier, and an arithmetic expression (subtraction).
> So I'm thinking of preceeding it with a "$" or putting it in {}'s or some such.

IMO, a DSL should recognise this kind of things without any special
and artificial delimiters.

My 2 cents.

Best regards,
Member of ACCU, http://accu.org