[pdal] Feedback on driver development

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Apr 3 12:43:28 EDT 2012

On 3 April 2012 16:32, Howard Butler <hobu.inc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2012, at 5:51 PM, Edgar Ellis wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I recently wrote a (read-only) PDAL driver using the plugin API for our proprietary format. MPG was interested in some feedback, and it seemed appropriate for the mailing list.
>>
>> * Documentation
>> I didn't find the limited documentation to be a problem, for the most part the source was easy to follow. A couple areas that required some digging:
>> - How should a driver create UUIDs? (How unique are they)
>
> This is open for debate and not settled yet.
> The UUIDs exist on Dimensions to support the following scenario.

Comment about UUID uniqueness seems missing...

I think it is reasonable to take it as "practically unique" [1]

I presume PDAL uses Boost.Uuid [2] implementation (as libLAS does), thus

"either guaranteed to be unique (...) or it is extremely likely to be
unique" [2]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier
[2] http://www.boost.org/libs/uuid/index.html

Best regards,