[pdal] Obtaining "stats" without reading points

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Wed Dec 3 12:24:53 PST 2014

I would say that most of the LAS files I've seen have good bounds, but it is not uncommon to find a mismatched one. The histogram seems to be more frequently mismatched than the bounds. Once upon a time, you would also find mismatched record counts, but with LAS 1.4, those kinds of files are now unrecoverable.

libLAS (and older versions of PDAL) have had a "give me the headers whatever they are, but don't trudge through all the data" method, and the "QuickInfo" stuff that Andrew is describing which is now available in master speaks to the capability.

Howard