[pdal] Embedded Boost is now off by default

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Feb 10 10:54:39 PST 2014

All,

This note is mostly for posterity, but as we march toward the impending release date of PDAL 1.0.0, I wanted to make a policy change in PDAL's embedded Boost usage. Previously by default, PDAL used its embedded and namespaced Boost copy when building from source. This is super convenient, especially in Windows land, but other places as well.

There is some problems with it, however. If any library that wishes to link PDAL uses its own or system Boost, there can be significant clashes because of mismatches in include files. There's no clean way to tell the person doing the linking what they should do and how they should link to PDAL to get all of the symbols they might need. Because of this hassle, the default PDAL build configuration is to *not* build with the embedded Boost. You should use the embedded Boost configuration when you want to get going quickly, or when you want to use PDAL for essentially the command-line utilities only where no external linking of PDAL will happen.