[pdal] CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY and Windows

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Jan 24 14:12:55 PST 2014

On 24 January 2014 20:11, Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> wrote:
> Brad,
>
> I saw on IRC that you were asking about CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY being set to PROJECT_BINARY_DIR/bin. Mateusz may have some CMake history to know what we should really be doing on for these variables. I do know that it is convenient on *nix to keep the .libs and apps in the /bin dir for running tests and such without having to manually set paths. I'd like to keep that capability if possible in whatever we do.

AFAIR, all those settings of _OUTPUT_DIRECTORY was used to simplify
run-time linking for running tests from build directories.
This used to be a common technique used by CMake users in the past.

AFAIK, currently CMake folks suggest to make rely on install() command:
- on Windows, run local installation somewhere inside build tree, then
obviously all .exe and .dll will be collected in one place [1]
- on *nix, make use of rpath: CMake sets it for build locations, and
updates it during install with installation locations

It looks PDAL (and libLAS too) may need some love in this area.

Long time ago, I asked [2] about some best practices for output paths,
I may repeat my question and see what's the recommendation now.

[1] http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2010-September/039533.html
[2] http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2011-November/047464.html

Best regards,
--