[pdal] reading las is slower than liblas

Chris Foster chris.foster at roames.com.au
Tue Jun 9 00:27:23 PDT 2015

If this turns out to be the problem in this case, might I suggest that
the main CMakeLists.txt just be updated to make Release the default?
This would make more sense for most end users who want to build the
source themselves.

Very obscure cmake feature: The key to doing this is to set
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE *before* calling the project() command.  This allows
you to set a sensible default value in the cmake cache, *before* cmake
gets to it and sets CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to the empty string:

set(CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE "Release" CACHE STRING
    "Choose the type of build, options are: None(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS or
CMAKE_C_FLAGS used) Debug Release RelWithDebInfo MinSizeRel."
)

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.6)
project(PDAL CXX C)

(The same thing goes for setting default cache values for other cmake
builtin variables, such as CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS.)

~Chris