[pdal] compile pdal with Python support

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 07:39:43 PST 2015

On 30 November 2015 at 16:16, Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> wrote:

> Presumably this issue is caused by not having python-devel and numpy-devel packages installed. The cmake numpy detection is not so verbose.

We cannot find RPM or Debian packages for numpy-devel, there is only numpy

>> We also try to run "python setup.py build" into python directory but
>> we got an error "no module packaging.version"
>
> You must use pip or easy_install to install the packaging package:
>
> $ pip install packaging
>
> as a prerequisite before the PDAL Python extension can build/install.

done

> Then the following command should work:
>
> $ python setup.py build; python setup.py install

we tried but we got this error

python setup.py build
Compiling pdal/libpdalpython.pyx because it changed.
Cythonizing pdal/libpdalpython.pyx

Error compiling Cython file:
cdef class PyPipeline:
    cdef Pipeline *thisptr      # hold a c++ instance which we're wrapping
    def __cinit__(self, unicode xml):
        cdef char* x
        if PY_MAJOR_VERSION >= 3:
            self.thisptr = new Pipeline(xml.encode('UTF-8'))
                                                 ^

pdal/libpdalpython.pyx:28:50: Obtaining 'char const *' from temporary
Python value
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 140, in <module>
    extensions= cythonize(extensions, language="c++")
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/Cython/Build/Dependencies.py",
line 713, in cythonize
    cythonize_one(*args[1:])
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/Cython/Build/Dependencies.py",
line 780, in cythonize_one
    raise CompileError(None, pyx_file)
Cython.Compiler.Errors.CompileError: pdal/libpdalpython.pyx

There is something strange because we are running Python 2.7.5 but it
seems to check Python >= 3

--
ciao
Luca