[pdal] Request: add option for filename column

Tom van Tilburg tom.van.tilburg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 01:42:27 PDT 2015

Considering an earlier discussion about mimicking the behaviour of GDAL in
PDAL (http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pdal/2015-September/000744.html), I
had 2 ideas about improved dbase functionality:

1. Give the option to add filenames to the patches
An extra column that gives the name of the original laz file would
tremendously improve the administration of importing and updating your
pointcloud data. Imagine you receive a new lasfile with updated points (new
classification for instance), you would like to replace only those points
in your dbase, but there is no way to tell which patch originated from
which file.

2. Give an option for out-db pointclouds
In postgres it is possible to store your raster files out-db. This makes
sense when you don't tile your rasters for delivery speed but merely keep
them in storage for incidental use. There is still the advantage of
administration of metadata in the database and doing complex spatial
queries, whereas the actual bulk of files is remains where they are. PDAL's
readers and writes would be an intermediary between the dbase and the
pointcloud files.

My guess is that option 1 should be fairly simple to implement (maybe it
already exists?) but that option 2 can me a major rework. I'd be happy to
share more of my workflow if that helps in the discussion.

Best,
 Tom