[pdal] Colorization filter slow?

Thomas Knudsen knudsen.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 08:46:02 PDT 2015

I’m trying to add colour to a laz file with approx 8 Mpts using a
pipeline with filters.colorization and a 10000 px x 10000 px geotiff
orthophoto, covering the same 1 km x 1 km tile as the laz file (see
details below).

It works fine but takes almost 4 minutes. The same operation using the
LAStools lascolor tool gives similar results for a runtime of around
15 seconds - a factor of 15 difference.

Is this as expected, or am I doing something stupid?

/Thomas Knudsen, Danish Geodata Agency

Details:

System: Windows 7, OSGeo4W 64 bit,

$ pdal --version
---------------------------------------
pdal 1.0.1 (git-version: 4e377b)
---------------------------------------

$ pdal pipeline pudler_i_farver.xml

$ type pudler_i_farver.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Pipeline version="1.0">
 <Writer type="writers.las">
   <Option name="filename">coloured.las</Option>
   <Filter type="filters.colorization">
     <Option name="raster">orto_6173_727.tif</Option>
     <Reader type="readers.las">
       <Option name="filename">colourless.laz</Option>
     </Reader>
   </Filter>
 </Writer>
</Pipeline>