[pdal] Migrating from libLAS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 19:53:41 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm porting GRASS GIS's r.in.lidar module [1] (which is using libLAS) to
PDAL and I think I can write a migration guide. Do you think it should go
to the docs? If yes, where? You can view the current state in my fork [2].
Unfortunately, it is transitioning from libLAS's C API to PDAL C++ API
since r.in.lidar is using the C API.

I have several questions/TODOs in file [2] (feel free to review them).
However, now I would like to ask about iterating over the points in the
dataset. I do it in the way that I call execute on the reader and then I
iterate over points in PointView. It seems to me that I'm going over the
dataset two times, one reading and then my writing instead of just reading
and writing at the same time as in case of libLAS API. It also seems that
all points are loaded in the memory, should I then check some limitations
or add some error handling?

Thanks,
Valcav

PS: I'm also working on extending FAQs on that topic [3].

[1]
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/vector/v.in.lidar/main.c
[2]
https://github.com/wenzeslaus/PDAL/blob/liblas-to-pdal-transition/doc/tutorial/liblas_to_pdal.rst