[pdal] Migrating from libLAS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 06:39:40 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Newcomb, Doug <doug_newcomb at fws.gov> wrote:

> Does this mean that with the new version of r.in.lidar using pdal that the
> file size that can be read in will be limited by the amount of memory on my
> computer?
>
>  I currently use r.in.lidar with liblas and can process aggregated las
> files with up to 4.2 billion points with memory usage limited by the amount
> of map in memory parameter. ( The type of the analysis cell size and extent
> also affect memory usage)

I meant v.in.lidar, sorry for confusion. But what you are saying applies
even more for v.in.lidar. It always holds in memory just one point as it
doesn't combines the points in any way. There might be some issues on GRASS
site like counting the points but that's a different story.

[1]
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/vector/v.in.lidar/main.c